"Ancient Relics in Modern Times" Quest Guide

Hukora

"Ancient Relics in Modern Times" Quest Guide

Post by Hukora » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 am

Here is a quest guide for the "Ancient Relics in Modern Times" quest (aka "the relic quest") since many people seem to struggle with this quest. There have been guides in the past for this quest but I wanted to create a guide that had more details and images.

Quest Requirements
  • To begin the quest: 3 gym badges (through Eastbourne gym)
  • To complete the quest: 5 gym badges (through Wildhaven gym)

"Ancient Relics in Modern Times" Quest Walkthrough
Starting the Quest
1. Talk to Professor Sycamore at Sunrock Desert E4. He will tell you to go to the Sandmarsh library.
Note: Here is the game map in case you need it (https://i.imgur.com/GbMTf3Q.jpg), especially since Sunrock Desert can be tricky to maneuver through.

2. Enter the gatehouse at the top of route 9 to get to Sandmarsh Town.

3. Go toward toward the center of Sandmarsh Town. You will be stopped by Cascadie, the Newpine gym leader.

4. Enter the Sandmarsh Library. Walk toward the door shown in the second image below to enter the library's back room.

5. Talk to Clifford, the Darlinghurst gym leader. He will provide you information about the relics.

6. You will then be interrupted by some commotion outside the library, so exit the library. Pyrolius, a member of Team Royal, is trying to steal Splashy, Cascadie's Gyarados. Talk to Cascadie and she will run after Pyrolius toward the right side of the map toward the Sandmarsh Swamp. Follow Cascadie to help her rescue Splashy.

7. Follow the path towards the right side of Sandmarsh Swamp towards the Lotad Nesting Ground.

8. Talk to Cascadie, who teaches Pyrolius a lesson and rescues Splashy. Go back to the Sandmarsh Swamp and talk to Clifford. Now you are welcome to go on your way to obtaining the relics and progressing through the storyline.

Relic 1: "Relic of the Moon" Quest
1. Go to Route 12 and talk to the Swellow, who will lead you toward the location of the Moon relic.
Note: If you do not see this Swellow, you can progress to the 2nd step since the Swellow may not be here if you have progressed far enough in the storyline without completing this portion of the quest. Also, this is not the same Swellow as the thirsty Swellow in the desert. You do not need to complete the "Thirsty Pokemon" quest to begin this quest.

2. Enter the Tree of Illusion at the bottom-right corner of the map.

3. Progress through the Tree of Illusion. You must pass through the door at each floor without being discovered by the guard Pokemon (Lotad, Kabuto, Treecko), who can only see you if they are facing in your direction. Walk only when the guard Pokemon are facing in a different direction to avoid being discovered. If the Pokemon discover you, then you will be sent back to Route 12 and you must try to progress through the Tree of Illusion again. There is no limit to how may times you can attempt this, so keep trying!

4. Once you reach the 4th floor of the Tree of Illusion, congratulations, you have solved the puzzle! Interact with the Poke Ball to obtain the Moon Relic.

5. The Poke Ball will also warp you to an illusion of Asterfall Pond. Interact with the Mew to obtain a Shine Candle, a quest item you will need later.

5. Once you are warped back to the 4th floor of the Tree of Illusion, do NOT reset your position yet. Before you leave, walk toward the exit to toggle a text box with more clues for the relics. Now you may walk back to the other levels of the Tree of Illusion to be discovered by the guard Pokemon and sent back to Route 12, or you can reset your position.

Relic 2: "Relic of the Sun" Quest
1. Go to Newpine Town and enter Newpine Town House 2.

2. Interact with the jars (red boxes) to obtain the Newpine Keys to unlock the chest containing the Haunter (green box). Defeat the level 10 Haunter and allow the Haunter to follow you and assist you on your quest to finding the relics by providing helpful hints along the way.
Note: You will need the Haunter for the 4th relic, but if you do not enjoy having the Haunter with you, then you can interact with the chest again to remove the Haunter. You can always re-obtain the Haunter by repeating this step to obtain the keys and open the chest.

3. From Newpine Town, go to Route 5, then Grayview Cave (bottom right of Route 5). Go to the secret cave entrance at the right side of Grayview Cave, then throw the Shine Candle into the cave to evacuate the spiders and allow you to enter.

4. Progress through the maze using the path shown in the image below, and climb down the ladder at the end of the maze.

5. Interact with the Poke Ball to obtain the Sun Relic.

6. The Poke Ball will also warp you to an illusion at Your House. Interact with the Mewtwo to obtain a Strange Orb, a quest item you will need later.

7. Once you are warped back, you may exit Grayview Cave or reset your position.

Relic 3: Ion Relic
1. You must progress through Dorocoast to obtain the next relic. Follow steps 1 through 20 from this guide (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15758) to progress through Dorocoast. You might as well complete all the steps in the guide since you will need to do so in order to progress in the storyline and obtain the next relics anyway.

2. Once you obtain the Ion Relic, you can exit Raian's Basement or reset your position.

Relic 4: Wisp Relic
1. Go to Blackfell Town and complete the essential quests to progress through Blackfell Town. This is a quest guide to help you with those quests if you need it (viewtopic.php?f=19&p=80002).
  • "The Zombie's Apocalypse" quest gives you access to Blackfell Caverns.
  • "Feeding the Fire" quest gives you the Anti-Heat Orb, which allows you to progress through Blackfell Caverns.
  • "Taking Care of this Daycare," "The Hunt for the Honey Mushroom," and "Luxuries of a Home" quests allow you to leave Blackfell and progress into Wildhaven.
2. From Blackfell Town, go left to Blackfell Island Forest, then go left to Blackfell Island Graveyard, then go to the top-right corner of the map to interact with the Ghost Lady. She will tell you a tale, give you the Haunter (which evolves to a level 50 Gengar), then give you a Ghostly Soul, a quest item will need later. Interact with the Haunter statue to enter the Blackfell Caverns.

3. Follow the green path on the image below to go to Blackfell Caverns F2. Watch out for the level 60 Pokemon who will attack you as you traverse these caverns!
Note: If you want a Gengarite, red follow the path to the second set of ladders to Blackfell Caverns F4. Interact with the Poke Ball to obtain the Gengarite.
4. Go to the right side of Blackfell Caverns F2 and climb the ladder to Blackfell Caverns F3. Follow the green page on the image bellow to go to the other part of Blackfell Caverns F2.

5. Go toward the top-right corner of the map and enter the hidden cave marked by the green star to enter the Tomb of Statues.

6. Follow the green path toward the statue labeled in green. Stand in front of that green statue then click X to interact with and turn on that statue. Follow the blue path toward the statue labeled in blue. Stand in front of that blue statue then click X to interact with and turn on that statue. Follow the path back to the Poke Ball at the enter of the map.

7. Interact with the Poke Ball to obtain the Wisp relic.

8. The Poke Ball will warp you to an illusion of the Private Garden of your Luxury House. Interact with the Moltres to get hints of the next relic and return to Blackfell.

Relic 5: Frost Relic
1. Talk to the Sea Captain at the top-right of Blackfell Town to go to Wildhaven.

2. Go to the top-right corner of Wildhaven Town and talk to the NPC standing in front of the Wildhaven gym.

3. Go to the Wildhaven Poke Mart (building with blue roof) and talk to Seris, the Wildhaven gym leader.

4. Enter the Wildhaven gym and enter the red warp, then orange warp, then yellow warp to get to Seris.

5. Defeat Seris, who uses level 75 psychic-type Pokemon, to obtain the Concentration Badge.

6. Exit the Wildhaven Gym and talk to Seris, who is in a battle with Team Royal just outside of the gym.

7. Enter the Wildhaven gym and follow the green path toward Seris' office to talk to Seris.

8. Exit the Wildhaven gym and talk to King Pidgeot right outside the gym and will take you to Grayview Remote Slope.

9. Follow the path shown in the image below to go to Grayview Remote Unmarked Cavern.

10. Solve the puzzle by stepping on the left-yellow, right-yellow, right-green, right-yellow, and right-green buttons (there are many other ways to solve this, I just used trial and error). Interact with the Poke Ball to obtain the Frost Relic.

11. The Poke Ball will warp you to an illusion of Grayview Summit. Interact with the Articuno to be taken back to Grayview Remote Unmarked Cavern. To exit, you can either go back to Grayview Remote Slope and talk to King Pidgeot, or you can reset your position.

Completing the Quest
1. Go back to Sunrock Desert E4 and enter the Sand Temple.

2. Talk to Professor Sycamore to complete the "Ancient Relics in Modern Times" quest.
Spoiler alert!
Professor Sycamore is also working with Team Royal. Figures.

Congratulations on completing the "Ancient Relics in Modern Times" quest! I hope this guide was helpful.
Last edited by Hukora on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChilenoEnDinamarca
Trainer
Trainer

Re: "Ancient Relics in Modern Times" Quest Guide

Post by ChilenoEnDinamarca » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Splashy! What good moments hehe!
I was working on an English version of the relics but you were faster xD

I wanted to add that if you already reached the route 12 or further, and you come back later to the route 12 to complete the Relics quest, the Swellow will not be there, so you just have to enter the Tree of Illusion and continue with the guide from there...

Nice guide and Thanks for sharing!
Useful guides, click here | Guía de quests y mas en Español, Click aquí! Image

Hukora

Post by Hukora » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 am

Oh no I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to get in the way of your work, Chileno. I just saw that new players are struggling with this quest and wanted to create a guide since we didn't have a detailed guide yet; didn't think anyone else would be working on a guide for a quest that's so old. You are still welcome to continue with your guide if you would like.

Thank you for the feedback, I'll update the guide. Please let me know if there are any other things I should add or change.

ChilenoEnDinamarca
Trainer
Trainer

Post by ChilenoEnDinamarca » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 am

Hehe do not be sorry! It is already up and I can spend time on other stuff \o/
Useful guides, click here | Guía de quests y mas en Español, Click aquí! Image

FireMuskeeter
Trainer
Trainer

Post by FireMuskeeter » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 am

it just says 'ouch there is a searing heat coming from there' when i go to the ladder

Hukora

Post by Hukora » Fri May 03, 2019 4:19 pm

FireMuskeeter wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 am
it just says 'ouch there is a searing heat coming from there' when i go to the ladder
Section "Relic 4" step 1 directs you to this guide about the required Blackfell Town quests (viewtopic.php?f=19&p=80002). The exact quest you need to complete is "Feeding the Fire" (2nd portion of the Blackfell Town quest guide) to obtain the Anti-Heat Orb, but I suggest completing the third section of the quest guide as well, since that will be required later on in the game anyway.

FireMuskeeter
Trainer
Trainer

Post by FireMuskeeter » Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 am

king pidgeot isnt outside the gym. what do i do?

Hukora

Post by Hukora » Mon May 06, 2019 1:28 pm

FireMuskeeter wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 am
king pidgeot isnt outside the gym. what do i do?
King Pidgeot only shows up if you complete section 'Relic 5" parts 1 through 7.