PL Map Editor Tips/Guides (Warning: VERY image heavy)

champion21
Trainer
Trainer

champion21 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 10:52 am.

sharks12 you want also to update a map section

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 12:59 pm.

@Sharks12: Ah, I get what you mean now. Also, I was mainly trying to figure out what you meant ;)

@Champion21: +1 I would love a maps section.

Latest project:
Continuing my shade projects by doing a little forest map. Here is a tiny teaser of my first 20 minutes of work:

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 3:30 pm.

Continued:

sharks12
Site Admin
Site Admin

sharks12 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 3:41 pm.

I added a sub forum called "Artwork" - good luck!

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 4:41 pm.

Wicked sharks12, thank you!

Rj0101
Trainer
Trainer

Rj0101 said on, Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 am.

PrincessPhoenix wrote:Section 2: A more detailed explanation of the map layering
And how to save your stuff!

Brad's guide covered the basic layers that are needed with every map. There are up to 7 different layers used, but the other two are only used on a few maps:

The grass object layer:
  • grass (this is an object layer. It must be named grass with a lower case G)
Layers that go above the player:
  • Weather (optional- this layer can be named whatever. In the SS above it was named "fog" because it was hosting the fog for Oldpine Town)
Collision (gives players an obstacle):
  • Collision (this layer must be named Collision)
Bottom layers (player walks over these):
  • Walkable
  • Walk (optional-this layer can be named whatever)
  • Base

Starting from the bottom up:

Base Layer
This is the very bottom of the map that is used for the ground tiles, as well as walkways. I usually take the fill bucket tool and put the grass tile on this layer. If it is a cave I use a rock layer.

(Optional) Walk Layer
This is an optional layer that is used on indoor maps more than outdoor ones. It provides an additional layer between the Base and the Walkable layer so that you can stack more than one transparent tile that the player needs to walk over. There is no strict naming format for this layer so you can name it whatever you want.

For example, in the house you have a floor on the base layer, and then you put the rug down on the Walkable layer. The rug's tiles don't go all the way to the edge so if you put a cushion on the rug on the Walkable layer, it would make the rug tile vanish and it will look awkward. If you put the rug tile on the base layer there would be a gray transparent area that is left behind. So to solve this the easiest thing to do would be to add it to a secondary layer which I usually name "Walk", place the rug on that layer, and place the cushions on the Walkable layer above it.
(In the above example the books are on the top layer. But you can put the books on the Collision layer and put the table tile the books are sitting on in the Walk or Walkable layer and it also will work in the end.. but more on this later).

Walkable Layer
This is the default mandatory layer that is above the Base layer but below the Collision layer and is used for things that have a transparent background and is allowed to be walked over by the player. The spawn grass and flower tiles go on this layer, as well as certain pathway borders that need both a base and a Walkable layer to properly display. Sometimes the shadows of trees go on this layer too.
In an indoor map that does not throw cushions on rugs, the rug and every other walk-over transparent background object would go to the Walkable layer.

Collision Layer
This layer must be named Collision or else the game will not register the obstacles. This is the only layer that supports obstacles and everything set to this layer including blank transparent tiles will not allow a player to walk over it. Things that go on the Collision layer include, water, cliffs, most of the buildings, trees, the bottom of signs, rocks etc. So when setting map tiles be very careful not to accidentally select an invisible square off to the side on the tileset.

Very often non-ground related things that go on the Collision layer (such as trees, signs, buldings) will have the top 1-2 tiles of that object go on the Top layer so your player can walk behind it.

Top Layer
This layer goes above the Collision layer and everything set to this layer will appear above the player on the live maps. This is often used for the tops of trees, signs, buildings, mailboxes, archways and things used to conceal NPCs or players.
Ah, the infamously fun pastime of hiding behind trees. Thanks, Top Layer!

(Optional) Weather Layer
This is a very rarely used layer because its only purpose is to add weather effects to the map. Weather effects include fog, darkness on the night maps, snow, rain and light sand blowing. It needed its own layer so that the weather effects don't interfere with the tops of trees and other objects to be walked under.

Grass Object Layer
This layer usually goes at the very top, and must be named "grass" with a lowercase g. Unlike the other layers of this map, this is an object layer and so all you can do is set selection rectangles to grass. If the map does not have a wild Pokemon spawn area in it this layer does not need to be added.

This layer and exactly what to do with it is explained in full in Section 4: Grass and the Grass Object Layer.

How to prepare your map for saving/export

If you have your map already approved and ready to submit, here is how to prepare the files for sending. We will pick on the Oldpine Town map as an example (because it used all the layers).

1. Go to File >Save As and save the file with the extension of .xml
So now there should be a .tmx (the original format) and a .xml file of your map

2. Hide the grass object layer, Top and Weather Layer
Uncheck the boxes that is next to the layer name. This hides the contents of that layer.

3. Go to File > Save as Image
In the file name, add a single space after the name of the map but before the file extension, and type " base". This is going to be the base image of the map.

4. Unhide the Top and Weather layers, and then hide the Base, Walk, Walkable and Collision layers.
(Leave the grass object layer hidden)

5. Go to File > Save as Image
In the filename, add a single space after the name of the map but before the file extension, and type " above". This is going to be the above layers of the map and everything on this will appear above the player.

Now you should have a map above.png, map base.png, map.tmx and a map.xml version. Your files are now ready to be sent off!

Uploading map files to an online file host to share your maps with others

First you need to send all 4 files to a .zip file.
Windows instructions | Mac instructions

Then you need to upload the .zip file to a file host, such as MediaFire or Mega. If you have a dropbox account then that will also work. Please note that for all three of these you may actually need to register a (free version) account there in order to be given the download links. Once you obtain the download links you can post them to the forum.

Why can't I see the Grass, Weather, ETC?! Please Answer ASAP

PrincessPhoenix
Site Admin
Site Admin

PrincessPhoenix said on, Sun May 10, 2015 8:31 am.

Rj0101 wrote:
PrincessPhoenix wrote:(entire second post)

I guess I should have added that too! In the meantime here are some rough instructions:

1. Press the new layer button, then the "Add tile layer" selection from the drop down menu
ImageImage

Alternatively, you can do the same by going to Layer > Add Tile Layer:

2. Do this 3 more times:

3. Double-click on the layer name, and rename it to one of the layers in the guide.
It also gives you the option to rename it right when the layer is created, so you can name it at that time too.
Image --> Image

With all the basic layers named it should look like this:

For the grass object layer, there is a guide for that in part 4.
ImageI'm not a developer. | Visit PL's IRC channel!

Rj0101
Trainer
Trainer

Rj0101 said on, Sun May 10, 2015 8:54 am.

PrincessPhoenix wrote:
Rj0101 wrote:
PrincessPhoenix wrote:(entire second post)

I guess I should have added that too! In the meantime here are some rough instructions:

1. Press the new layer button, then the "Add tile layer" selection from the drop down menu
ImageImage

Alternatively, you can do the same by going to Layer > Add Tile Layer:

2. Do this 3 more times:

3. Double-click on the layer name, and rename it to one of the layers in the guide.
It also gives you the option to rename it right when the layer is created, so you can name it at that time too.
Image --> Image

With all the basic layers named it should look like this:

For the grass object layer, there is a guide for that in part 4.

Thanks PP

Akrone
Trainer
Trainer

Akrone said on, Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 am.

Great guide !

keshavTheBest
Trainer
Trainer

keshavTheBest said on, Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 am.

I can't a see any 'save as image' option in 'File' :/

Return to “Guides”