PL Map Editor Tips/Guides (Warning: VERY image heavy)

hassi01

hassi01 said on, Fri May 08, 2015 2:14 pm.

WOW pretty nice maps lebran!

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Fri May 08, 2015 10:08 pm.

Thank you, Hassi01. Do you have any cool ideas that I could use in my experiments?

Umbra, you inspired me to do a little cave and shadow/light experiment of my own. I still have a hard time designing nice caves seeing that I can't really find tiles in the tileset. How did you resolve that?

Also, I didn't finish the collision layers for the other mountain borders yet, and I cropped out whatever was irrelevant:

pokemonmaster83
Trainer
Trainer

pokemonmaster83 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 3:53 am.

I am continuing my map from North Grayview cave and going to put more maps this is the first map.

pokemonmaster83 Moderater of #Armageddon clan: Luminioun clan

I wanna be the best
And i am the best

champion21
Trainer
Trainer

champion21 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 6:44 am.

very good map

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 8:10 am.

Lovely work Pokemonmaster83! I like the fact that you are using water in the cave to overcome the limited tileset.

What I personally like doing in maps is using the borders to hint to places that might be reachable in the future. You could maybe do that in the bottom right corner for example.

Daspian
Trainer
Trainer

Daspian said on, Sat May 09, 2015 8:25 am.

Im no mapper, heck i don't even know what application you guys use to make these maps, and my interest died when i saw Lebran's map, cause "god that looks complicated" i thought, but these maps are beautiful Lebran!
i especially liked the cave, and for some reason the image Umbra and pm83 posted don't show up on my screen, so i can't really say anything about them :?
and this whole map business gave me an idea, i'll try posting it in suggestion later :lol:

Edit : Umbra! your map is wild man! i saw that thing before on Nat Geo Wild or something, and dude you just converted the HOLE into a pokemon map! that's wild! :lol: :o
and if waterfall ever get implemented in PL as a field move, i will be one of the few, to play waterfall ride on that fall! though i gotta say the upper part looks too cramped(too many stones/trees maybe?)
and i also think the long waterfall is not wide enough maybe make it four tiles wide instead of two?
(that's two right? :lol: ) but, i'd say it's great overall :D
Need help/have questions? PM me
Need a friendly pokemon battle? PM me
If I don't reply right away, it means I'm typing/Offline/AFK.
#################
I'm used to being hated, folks usually hate me out of envy!
It's hard being a shiny dunsparce :lol:

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 9:42 am.

@Daspian: I know right!?!?! Exactly what I thought of when I saw the picture by Umbra! Such a great idea, I do think it's a bit crowded on top, but then again. In a way it looks more like you would find it in nature: hidden in thick shrubs. Also thanks a lot for your compliments, I am glad that you like the cave. What do you think looked better, the previous clean upper ridges of the cave? Or with rocks on it like I'll post below?

Project of the day:
Today I continued my lights and shadows test with the cave you saw yesterday. In included some extra hard to reach places to tease people walking into the map.

I am not too sure whether it looks better with all the cliffs and rocks, what do you guys think?

sharks12
Site Admin
Site Admin

sharks12 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 9:54 am.

I think lights have to be used properly. It grabs your attention to it and it has to be only for the spots that need it or it'll be too distracting.

Atleast if there's a source (like the lamp), it's alright to me. The game will be zoomed in to focus on a part of the map so yeah.

@PokemonMaster83 - Your map looks nice. I do think that the stairs are too steep and is it like that on tileset? If so, I think it should be not so steep.

Lebran
Trainer
Trainer

Lebran said on, Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 am.

sharks12 wrote:I think lights have to be used properly. It grabs your attention to it and it has to be only for the spots that need it or it'll be too distracting.

Atleast if there's a source (like the lamp), it's alright to me. The game will be zoomed in to focus on a part of the map so yeah.

@PokemonMaster83 - Your map looks nice. I do think that the stairs are too steep and is it like that on tileset? If so, I think it should be not so steep.

So if I get you, you'd drop the lights on the doors for example? Or did you mean the cracks in the bedrock above that emit the lights for the grassy patches? Or the light emitting stone?

sharks12
Site Admin
Site Admin

sharks12 said on, Sat May 09, 2015 10:03 am.

Probably the bigger area on the bottom right. Also, this is what I would do, not what everyone should do. You're limited by nothing!

Return to “Guides”